Acne and Dry Skin: A Tough Combination
One of the toughest skin combinations to keep clear and healthy looking is acne combined with dry skin. This skin type, otherwise known as combination skin, presents its own challenges because each type of skin requires two completely different environments and skin care routines. Even though it is challenging, there are some things that you can do to keep your combination skin looking healthy and vibrant all year long.
One of the first things that you should remember about combination skin is that products that are intended to counteract each issue separately will not work on your skin. This is because products that are formulated for dry skin have oils and moisturizers that can add to your acne issue. Products intended to dry up acne, on the other hand, may cause dry skin. So what should you do?
Always use products that are formulated for combination skin. These products help even out skin conditions by moisturizing dry skin and absorbing oils on oily, acne prone skin. Keep in mind that moisture and oil are two separate things. You can absorb oil and replace moisture at the same time without exacerbating and existing acne condition.
Skin Care for Acne and Dry Skin
One of the most important things that you should remember when dealing with acne and dry skin is that a skin care regimen is vital. There is no way that you can skimp and ignore the needs of your skin. If you do, you will be left with a mess. At its most basic, your skin care routine should include the following:
* Cleanser – Use a balancing cleanser that will gently cleanse your skin without drying it out. Skin that is acne prone has to be cleansed more often than other types of skin. Keep this in mind when choosing your cleanser. Choose something that can be used multiple times daily.
* Toner – Toners and astringents are an important part of any acne skin care routine. Take care, though. Many toners that are made for acne prone skin are very drying. You need to make sure than anything that you use is made for acne prone skin as well as patches of dry skin.
* Lotion – Always use a daily lotion that evens out your skin. A good daily lotion will moisturize dry skin while absorbing skin oils that cause acne.
* Intense treatments – For especially difficult areas, you can spot treat your skin. Use acne treatments only on areas that are continuously affected by acne. You can also moisturize especially dry areas with a nightly intense moisturizer applied only to your dry skin.
Dry Skin and Acne: Things to Avoid
Just as there are things that you should do to treat your combination skin, there are some things that you should avoid. Keep in mind that everyone’s skin is different and yours may be able to tolerate the following to certain degrees.
* Sun – The sun is the number one factor that dries and ages your skin. On the other hand, Ultra Violet rays can work wonders at clearing up acne. To get the acne fighting benefits of Ultra Violet rays without the damage associated with sun bathing, visit a tanning bed twice weekly for about 7 minutes per session. This amount of light will not tan or damage your skin but will help dry up your acne.
* Cleansing pads – many cleansing pads formulated for acne riddled skin are extremely harsh and not intended for use on dry skin. People with oily skin can use these pads several times a day, but dry skin sufferers should not use them at all.
* Oils and moisturizers – Just as many treatments for acne can dry your skin, many treatments for dry skin can cause acne. Avoid products with heavy oils and emollients. Perfumes and certain moisturizers may also cause breakouts.
Treating dry skin and acne combination skin does not have to be confusing and impossible. It can be as easy as reading product labels and making sure that you are purchasing products that are formulated for your unique skin. There are several good products on the market that are perfect for combination skin; you just have to find the ones that are perfect for you.
Remember; combination skin can be tricky to deal with, but it can also be beautiful, healthy, vibrant, and acne free. Do your homework, and you will find the right skin care routine for your dry skin and acne.