Heat Rash is a very itchy red skin rash, causing a prickling or burning feeling. Heat Rash is a common ailment in hot and humid conditions, such as in the tropics and during the summer season. Although it affects people of all ages, it is especially common in children and infants due to their underdeveloped sweat glands. Heat Rash is most common in warm, humid climates. It tends to occur on areas of the body where skin touches skin, such as under the breasts, on the inner thighs, and under the arms. Heat Rash occurs when the sweat gland ducts get plugged due to dead skin cells or bacteria such as Staphylococcus epidermidis, a common bacterium that occurs on the skin which is also associated with acne.
Heat Rash also can appear as large, reddened areas of skin. Babies and children are also more likely to be affected than adults because of their underdeveloped sweat glands, in which case the rash is commonly found in the nappy area and in the skin folds or on the neck. Heat Rash can also occur in cooler climates when sweating is a problem. For example, people who lie on their back for long periods due to illness may get heat Rash on their back. Heat Rash is also controlled by keeping the skin cool and dry. Avoid further sweating. Even if this is possible for just a few hours each day it can make a big difference. Avoid the use of powders, creams, and ointments. Baby powders don’t improve or prevent heat rash. Creams and ointments tend to keep the skin warmer and block the pores.
Heat Rash Treatment and Prevention Tips
1. Wear loose cotton clothing.
2. Calamine lotion may cool and soothe the skin.
3. Use of powders and antiperspirants often helps.
4. Conditions that increase sweating should be avoided.
5. A mild steroid cream may soothe the irritation.
6. Calamine lotion BP and natural oatmeal-based creams can be soothing.
7. Avoid ointments or other lotions because they can irritate the skin.
8. Aanti-histamine creams or medications will relieve the itch.
9. Antibiotics and topical antiseptics are used to prevent bacterial blooms.
10. Keep the skin cool and dry. Keep the sleeping area cool.